Kela’s Approach to Strategic Planning &
Select List of Facilitation and Strategic Planning Support Work
To see a diagram of the Kela Approach to Strategic Planning, click here. Of course, every Kela strategic planning process is customized to the particular needs and circumstances of each organization we serve. But using the general approach in this diagram, Kela Associates has designed, facilitated, and helped record the results of the following strategic planning projects in Hawaii and the US Affiliated Pacific Islands. Kela Associates has also designed, led, and facilitated strategic planning efforts for a number of mainland nonprofit organizations (including the Nonprofit Roundtable of Greater Washington, DC Vote, the Capital Area Foreclosure Network, Barter Theatre, Chattanooga Public Library, Chattanooga Theatre Centre, and others). Kela Associates has also developed training materials and led training sessions for facilitators.
- Academy 21 (formerly Hawaii Change Leaders Project)/Hawaii Educational Association — Honolulu, HI: providing business planning counsel, coaching, and consulting assistance to help an innovative nonprofit educational leadership development program in Hawaii develop a business plan that would enable it to pursue mission, enhance 21st Century skills acquisition by Hawaii’s students, and achieve sustainable profitability no longer dependent principally on philanthropy; – http://www.academy21.org
- Aloha Medical Mission – Honolulu, HI: planning, facilitating, and preparing summary reports for two Aloha Medical Mission’s Board Retreats, five years apart — www.alohamedicalmission.org
- Barter Theatre – Abingdon, VA: planning and facilitating a strategic planning retreat for the board and staff of this nonprofit theater company to re-examine its business model and identify new approaches for raising revenues;
- Chattanooga Public Library – Friends of the Chattanooga Public Library – Chattanooga, TN: assisting in designing and facilitating a process for updating of the strategic plan for the Chattanooga Public Library, including an analysis of emerging trends in the community and the field and the development of measurable goals for performance of the system and strategies to achieve these goals over the next three years;
- Chattanooga Theatre Centre – Chattanooga, TN: planning and facilitating a board-staff retreat to set 2016-2020 goals and rectify business model challenges; — www.theatrecentre.com
- Friends of the Waikiki Aquarium – Honolulu, HI: planning facilitating, and preparing summary report of a strategic planning meeting for the board of the FOWA – http://www.waquarium.org/become-a-member.html
- Hawaii Department of Health, Chronic Disease Management and Control Division – Honolulu, HI: (1) assisting in facilitating and reporting on two summit meetings, and (2) supporting development of the Branch’s strategic plan, including addressing the social determinants of chronic disease and ethnic disparities for 2012 and beyond. This work also involved training facilitators to manage small groups for breakout sessions in the large summit meetings sponsored by the Department. The strategic planning project in 2012 has included conducting 17 key informant interviews with experts throughout Hawaii and helping to plan, facilitate, and report on Town Hall meetings on Kauai, Maui, Oahu, and the Big Island (Kona and Hil0).
- Hawaii Electricians Market Enhancement Program Fund — Honolulu, HI: designing and facilitating a strategic planning Summit that is bringing together 90+ electrical contractors and IBEW Local 1186 union electricians to devise win-win strategies and new methods of collaboration to enhance the market and market share for unionized electrical contractors in Hawai’i;
- Hawaii Operating Engineers Industry Stabilization Fund – Honolulu, HI: facilitating two meetings of the Fund trustees on the Fund’s strategic plan and assisting the Executive Director in developing clear and measurable goals, interim milestones, and timelines for the 2014-2016 strategic plan;
- Hawaii Wildlife Fund/Maui Reef Fund — Maui, HI: providing coaching and strategic consulting support to the Executive Director and the members of the Maui Reef Fund regarding vision, stakeholder analysis, and priority strategies to assist leaders in the Maui marine tourism industry protect the coral reefs on which their businesses depend — www.wildhawaii.org;
- He’e Nalu Learning Center/Spirit Sessions Program – Kailua, Oahu, HI: providing coaching and consulting assistance in preparation and implementation of a strategic planning grant proposal for an innovative youth development program that enables adjudicated teenage girls and boys to learn how to surf, to get college credit for an intensified college level ocean studies course, and in the process develop self-esteem, heightened sense of personal responsibility, new awareness of personal potential, and other important benefits – http://surferspirit.org/
- HKL Castle Foundation – Kailua, Oahu, HI: assist the Executive Director in surveying near shore communities on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, the Big Island, and Molokai’i to determine their perceptions of community capacity building needs to effectively protect and restore near shore marine resources and help the Foundation develop a dashboard of indicators for which it can hold itself accountable for building needed community capacity — www.castlefoundation.org;
- HUGS (Help, Understanding & Group Support) — Honolulu, HI: providing executive coaching to the organization’s Executive Director to help meet new performance expectations of the Board; facilitating a board retreat on strategic planning and revisiting success criteria and measures for the organization; leading a board-staff team in evaluating existing programs and exploring opportunities for program expansion and/or new program growth in light of increased organizational capacity and financial strength of the organization — http://www.hugslove.org
- Kalihi-Palama Health Center: providing executive coaching to the Executive Director and Medical Director of the Center and helping build Executive Team leadership, improved communication, and support. — www.kphc.org
- Kamehameha School: assisting in planning and facilitating a series of meetings between Kamehameha School and the Kaka’ako Improvement Association to develop proactive and systematic responses to a series of public policy issues affecting this neighborhood, including new legislative proposals on workforce housing requirements, transit related issues, and overall community development. — www.ksbe.edu
- Kanu Hawaii: planning and facilitating a strategic planning and performance assessment ADVANCE meeting between the Board and senior staff of the organization, including a review of Board roles and responsibilities and how to create more engaging and effective campaigns. — www.kanuhawaii.org
- Na Lei Aloha Foundation – Honolulu, HI: designing the Foundation’s new Tables for Ten program to extend the Bridge of Friendship and helping to facilitate two of the initial sets of Tables for Ten — www.naleialoha.org;
- Nonprofit Roundtable of Greater Washington (Washington, DC) – Planning and facilitation of board strategic planning retreat.
- University of Hawaii, School of Accountancy (Shidler Business College): designing, facilitating and reporting on a strategic planning process involving students, faculty, alumni and practitioners for the School of Accountancy;
- USAPI Health Leadership Council/Pacific Island Health Officers Association (PIHOA): Facilitating a series of calls and a meeting to assist the Council in agreeing on a structural Framework for collaboration and a strategic Roadmap for concerted actions to deal with the crisis of non-communicable diseases — e.g., heart, cancer, stroke, diabetes, etc. in the US-Affiliated Pacific Islands. – http://www.pihoa.org and www.palau-health.net/images/NCD_Declaration.pdf
- USS Missouri Memorial Association – Honolulu, HI: designing and facilitating a staff retreat to explore and make recommendations for improving the visitor experience for those visiting the USS Battleship Missouri in Pearl Harbor, while retaining the ship’s historical authenticity, memorializing those who served their country, and enhancing the financial sustainability of the organization that preserves the ship. — http://www.ussmissouri.com/
- Waioli – Nuhou Corporations – Lihue, Kauai, HI: designing and facilitating a three-meeting strategic planning process and preparing a final strategic and business plan for a nonprofit board that oversees the preservation and management of three historic sites and other lands and facilities on Kauai — www.grovefarm.net.